Synonyms for understand
|accept||find out||learn||be aware|
|discern||follow||master||be conscious of|
|explain||get||perceive||be with it|
|figure out||interpret||realize||get the hang of|
|recognize||know||sympathize||get the idea|
|see||get the picture||make out||penetrate|
|sense||get the point||make sense of||possess|
|tolerate||have knowledge of||take in||register|
|apprehend||identify with||take meaning||savvy|
Antonyms for understand
Synonyms and Antonyms of understand
to form an opinion or reach a conclusion through reasoning and informationas I understand it, this is the best plan that we have Synonyms of understand conclude, decide, deduce, derive, extrapolate, gather, judge, make out, reason, infer Words Related to understand assume, suppose
conjecture, guess, speculate, surmiseconstrue, interpret, readcontemplate, philosophize, rationalize, thinkascertain, dope (out), find out
to have a practical understanding of I think I understand how an engine works now Synonyms of understand comprehend, grasp, know Words Related to understand appreciate, apprehend, cognize, fathom, follow, ken [chiefly Scottish], perceive, savvy
have, possesscatch on (to), pick up Near Antonyms of understand misapprehend, misconceive, misinterpret, misknow, misperceive, misunderstand
3to have a clear idea ofafter a few weeks in Russia I began to understand the language a little bit Synonyms of understand appreciate, apprehend, assimilate, behold, catch, catch on (to), cognize, compass, conceive, cotton (to or on to), decipher, decode, dig, discern, get, grasp, grok, intuit, know, make, make out, perceive, recognize, register, savvy, see, seize, sense, tumble (to), twig, comprehend Words Related to understand absorb, digest, take in
realizefathom, penetrate, pierce Near Antonyms of understand misapprehend, misconceive, misconstrue, misinterpret, misperceive, misread, mistake, misunderstand Antonyms of understand miss
Synonym Discussion of understand
- orders that were fully understood and promptly obeyed
- comprehend may stress the process of coming to grips with something intellectually.
- appreciate implies a just evaluation or judgment of a thing’s value or nature.
- I have trouble comprehending your reasons for doing this⟩
- failed to appreciate the risks involved
- And the whole thing has been unnatural because that cat and I are both able to talk your language, and to understand the words you say.
- We all understand intuitively there is plenty of food in the world.
- He must understand what Alex had been through.
- Now I understand why you were crying.
- To understand this problem, consider our relationship with knowledge over the centuries.