Oblivion Script Extender – OBSE is a mod for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, created by OBS Team.
The Oblivion Script Extender, or OBSE for short, is a modder’s resource that expands the scripting capabilities of Oblivion. It doesn’t make any modifications to oblivion.exe, TESConstructionSet.exe, or any other files in your oblivion install, so don’t worry about permanent side effects. It is compatible with the 22.214.171.1246 Oblivion patch, as well as the 1.2 version of the Construction Set. Versions of Oblivion downloaded via Steam are supported as well.
Installation Retail (Non-Steam) version:
1. Copy obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, and obse_loader.exe to your Oblivion directory. This is usually in your Program Files folder, and should contain files called “Oblivion.exe” and “OblivionLauncher.exe”.
2. Run oblivion by running obse_loader.exe from the Oblivion directory.
If you use a desktop shortcut to launch Oblivion normally, just update the shortcut to point to obse_loader.exe instead of oblivion.exe.
1. Copy obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, and obse_steam_loader.dll to your Oblivion directory. This is usually “C:Program FilesValveSteamSteamAppscommonoblivion”.
2. Ensure you have enabled the Steam community in-game, or OBSE will fail to load. Go to Steam > Settings > In-Game and check the box marked “Enable Steam Overlay”.
3. Launch Oblivion via Steam or by running Oblivion.exe. OBSE will automatically be run along with Oblivion when launched. To disable this, rename or move obse_steam_loader.dll. You do not need to use obse_loader.exe unless you are running the editor.
How to use oblivion script extender
Make sure you extract the files into your Oblivion folder and not the data folder.
The files you need are the OBSE data folder, the dll files with the Steam loader.
Only two file is needed to be in Oblivion folder
These are essential files for Steam version.
Then create [OBSE] folder in the Oblivion/data folder
And [plugins] folder under the OBSE.
This folder will be used by OBSE plugin dlls
such as Sttuter Remover, MenuQue, Blockhead etc..
Latest loader: http://obse.silverlock.org/download/obse_loader.zip
OBSE plugins have quite a different package composition. The installation is very consistent, but the packaging is not. All OBSE plugins are installed to the Oblivion/Data/OBSE Plugins. Some plugins are packed such that they can be extracted into the Oblivion folder for proper installation; others require installing directly to the OBSE Plugins folder (which may need to be created.)
Installation steps for some common OBSE plugins:
- Download the following OBSE plugins:
- Elys’ Universal Silent Voice (USV) – extends time text is displayed on screen for unvoiced dialog, so that it does not just flash
- Fast Exit v2 – prevents CTD on exit
- Oblivion Stutter Remover (OSR) – manages memory at a low level, reducing stuttering in-game
- Pluggy – extends OBSE, especially for debugging, for mods and the user
- Install the archives: Extract Fast Exit and OSR in the Oblivion folder. Extract Elys’ USV in the Data folder. Extract Pluggy into the OBSE plugins folder (Oblivion\Data\OBSE\Plugins, which you may have to create). All of the DLLs should end up directly in the Plugins folder (except for OSR’s component DLLs which should be in their own subfolder.)
>> Note: All OBSE plugins are installed in the above folder. That is where you will find the INIs that needed to be tweaked for your OBSE plugins (not OBSE-dependent mods.) The “src” folder directly underneath the Oblivion folder is not for mod users. Let it be.
- Find the “Oblivion Stutter Remover” thread on the BethSoft forums before tweaking the INI file. The safest edit you can make is to raise the FPS cap.
>> Note: If you have a very good computer, you may want to raise the cap to 60 FPS. If you use Streamline, turn off Streamsmooth or set SL’s FPS range inside of OSRs. OSR is more robust, and they can cause bad conflicts when vying to handling memory management.
- Another OBSE plugin: If you are going to use Elys’ Uncapper, (uncaps the level for the PC skills and attributes, raising the limit from 100 to 200 or 255) extract it to (or in) the OBSE plugins folder.